Sunday, September 11, 2016

Flip Side of the Coin

Time again for Weekend Writing Warriors and Snippet Sunday!




I'm continuing with snippets from my new release, True Blue, the first book in my True Blue Trilogy. (You can catch up on the earlier excerpts here.) Last week you met Mickey, who pushes himself to be the best at baseball because he loves his dad so much and wants to make him happy so he won't drink. Wade is dealing with some father issues too, but they're a lot different from Mickey's. This scene takes place after Wade is sent to bed early for fouling out of his basketball game, but he sneaks out to meet Jeana and Billy Joe in the clubhouse for their Mystery Masters meeting. His little sister accidentally gets him caught when he comes back in. Forewarning: there's some major creative punctuation going on in this snippet to make it fit our guidelines.

I couldn't find a snippet that applied to today's memorial, but here's a photo to commemorate those we lost.


“Boy, why aren’t you in bed?” Mr. Strickland said as he came down the hall, then he added, “Have you been outside?”

“Yes, sir,” Wade said, backing into his bedroom, “but I only went out for a minute, I had to... go look for something.”

“Yeah, I know what you were looking for—that little Russell girl! Didn't I tell you I was tired of you following her around like a stupid puppy dog?” He unbuckled his belt and walked into Wade's room, shutting the door behind him as he said, “That's probably why you can't keep your head in a ballgame long enough to win. Maybe this'll help you remember how to mind!”

When he came out a few minutes later, Sissy waited for him to sit in the recliner again, then she slipped into Wade's room and ran to where he was curled up on his bed and hugged him as she said, “I'm sorry I got you in trouble, bubba, I didn't mean to.”

Wade hugged her back and said, “Don't cry, Sissy, it's not your fault.”

“Why is Daddy always so mean to you?”

“He wants me to do better at sports—I just have to try harder, then he won't get mad at me.”


I'm sure you can guess that these father/son relationships are going to play a big part in how both boys grow up. Can't wait for the next snippet? You can buy True Blue here. ;-) And please do also check out the other Snippet Sunday folks and the Weekend Writing Warriors. Something for everyone among these talented writers!

~Stay true to yourself and your dreams will come true!

See all my books at my Web site
Follow me on Twitter
Like my Facebook Fan Page


22 comments:

  1. A grim situation for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last line was heart-breaking.
    Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, this dad sounds awful! Poor Wade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's horrible. I feel so sorry for Wade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Wade. I get the feeling that no matter how hard he tries he's never going to be good enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This really shows the twisted logic of abuse victims, and it also touches on the psychology of how children seek the approval of their father.

    Good snippet, Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, poor dear. Good snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:43 PM

    This makes me glad my dad wasn't interested in sports.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's such a horrible situation (but your writing is great!).

    ReplyDelete
  10. My stomach just knotted at the mention of the belt. Poor boy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, that poor kid. I'm glad you didn't "show" the beating. I couldn't read that. Great snippet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't write that. Not in this book anyway.

      Delete
  12. Painful to read, but very well done. I hope Wade gets away from his Dad soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. And this is what ultra-masculinity gets the world. Good snippet if hard to read, Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's so sad, because he will get mad no matter what. Someone take those kids of out there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a sad scene ... well written

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ugh. Harder to read because you didn't show the scene. You do write like Stephen King. You write cringeworthy scenes well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks for that immense compliment. :-)

      Delete
  17. Oh that last line breaks the heart. Poor kid. I think I want to take the belt to that father instead.

    ReplyDelete