Sunday, July 03, 2016

A Particular Set of Skills

Time again for Weekend Writing Warriors and Snippet Sunday!




Happy Day-Before-Independence Day! I'm on the road with my family, but I scheduled my snippet posts for the next two weeks before I left. Here's another one from my YA paranormal thriller After Me. (You can catch up on the earlier excerpts here.) This week's scene takes place after a jerk named Matt Winston has spread the word at school that "Gwen" used to live on the streets. A guy on the school bus decides to harass Jada about it when they both get off and she discovers her newly acquired "particular set of skills."


He looked me up and down and laughed. “Just trying to make up my mind how much to offer you.”

I put my hands on my hips and said, “Give it up, jerkwad. You wouldn’t have enough if you robbed Bill Gates and won the Nigerian lottery.”

His face lost its smirk, and his hand shot out to grab my wrist as he said, “Don’t get uppity with me, you little tramp!”

Maybe it was because it was the same thing BOSSMAN had called me on the night I died, but his words echoed in my head as though they were being broadcast from a loud speaker. It suddenly seemed like I was looking through some kind of red film or at a TV with the tint turned completely to red. I snatched my arm free and pushed him in the middle of his chest with both my hands, and he went flying backward at least ten feet to thud against a sycamore tree in the yard behind him.

I stared at my hands in amazement and said, “Sweet. Super zombie strength.”


Wonder what other cool things she can do? Stay tuned to find out. And next week you'll get to see what Flo has to say about all of this. Can't wait? You can buy After Me here. And please do also check out the other Snippet Sunday folks and the Weekend Writing Warriors. Something for everyone among these talented writers!


~Stay true to yourself and your dreams will come true!

See all my books at my Web site
Follow me on Twitter
Like my Facebook Fan Page

16 comments:

  1. Super zombie strength... a definite advantage to being dead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That red hazed vision may just make things interesting, too.
    But if I had to be dead... I would think super zombie strength sweet, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That red hazed vision may just make things interesting, too.
    But if I had to be dead... I would think super zombie strength sweet, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:41 AM

    Interesting new discovery for her (and us). Really enjoying the story and I like that it's going in somewhat unexpected directions. Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent discovery. I'm sure she can put that strength to good use on her mission.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:31 PM

    I wonder if she walks funny, too?

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES! Take that, jerkwad. :) Great snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woohoo! Super zombie strength! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah! Super zombie strength! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah.... take that! love it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the sound of zombie strength!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Odd to quantify the strength as being "zombie strong." I love, love, love when a character who might not normally resort to physical defense/offense actually goes for the punch! So very gratifying!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. (Trying this again.)
    I love how completely unfazed and matter-of-fact she is about it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love her reaction to her super zombie strength! lol Nicely done! I think there's a connection between this guy and her killer.

    Have a nice vacation, Joyce!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL! I love how she just rolls with the newfound power like it's the most natural and awesome thing in the world. I would love to see his reaction to that though. She had a great comeback too.

    ReplyDelete