Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Memorable Scenes

If you're a music lover like me, you know how certain songs always make you think of a specific person, place, or time, and you remember it vividly every time you hear the song. Well, I have a literary version of that phenomenon that makes me remember specific scenes from books I've read.

For instance, every time I see one of those subscription cards that are constantly falling out of magazines, I think about the woman in Gerald's Game by Stephen King who used one of those cards as a straw so she could drink water from a glass on the headboard of the bed she's handcuffed to. Another one is whenever I'm washing potatoes for baking, I always think of Amber scrubbing the meager potatoes she and Bruce had to eat in Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor. Juicy sandwiches always remind me of the ones eaten by Detective Delaney in Lawrence Sanders' Deadly Sin books, sparrows make me think of The Dark Half by Stephen King, and drinking a Dr. Pepper always takes me back to the one Marlene drinks in My Sweet Charlie by David Westheimer.

One of my favorite fantasies is one day having people think of scenes from my books like this. Sigh . . .


~Stay true to yourself and your dreams will come true!

No comments:

Post a Comment