Sunday, July 17, 2016

Dang, I Was Hoping For X-Ray Vision!

Time again for Weekend Writing Warriors and Snippet Sunday!




My two-week vacation across the USA was fabulous, but it's great to be back home so I can read and comment on all the other WWW and SS blogs I've grown addicted to! Here's another snippet from my YA paranormal thriller After Me. (You can catch up on the earlier excerpts here.) Last week Jada found out from Flo about the addendum to her termination agreement that's making her ga-ga over Lew Stanton, math whiz and the captain of the school's chess team. Here's how she discovers another one of her "super zombie powers." Well, maybe not so super.


Since the transdead weren’t immune to accumulated grime, I still had to shower and wash my hair like everyone else, so I got my pajamas and went into the bathroom. While I was standing under the pulsating stream from the massaging showerhead, I realized I missed little things like how good it felt for a hot shower to pound away the tension in sore muscles. I could feel the water hitting me, but I couldn’t tell if it was hot or cold. Apparently, the neurons and synapses of the transdead didn’t continue to transmit the way they did in the living.

Wait, what?

How the crap did I know anything about neurons or synapses? And not only that, I realized I suddenly understood how the whole nervous system operated. Great, my transformation into nerd girl obviously involved more than just crushing on chess players. I was turning into some kind of freaking brainiac myself. The super zombie strength was cool, but this had to be the lamest superpower ever.



Next week Jada meets the new best friend that Flo warned her about in the e-mail. Big surprise—she's nothing like the friends Jada had in her previous life. Can't wait? You can buy After Me here. And please do also check out the other Snippet Sunday folks and the Weekend Writing Warriors. Something for everyone among these talented writers!


~Stay true to yourself and your dreams will come true!

See all my books at my Web site
Follow me on Twitter
Like my Facebook Fan Page


18 comments:

  1. This story has the best twists and turns, right down to a simple thing like not feeling the shower in the same old way. Excellent excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, super brainiac powers....oh, wait. LOL Great excerpt. Sounds like an awesome vacation! I'm partway through mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brain power can be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:50 PM

    She may think now that this superpower is lame, but an understanding of science is always a good thing, and often quite useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, especially for getting those brownie points with cute nerds. ;-)

      Delete
  5. LOL. I don't see the problem with super brainiac powers, never know when those things might come in handy in a jam. What's wrong with being a science nerd? Science is fun! I like the little twist of her not being able to feel the hot and cold though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She will come to appreciate it later. ;-)

      Delete
  6. The lamest super power ever? LOL! So funny! Love this snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. An excellent and amusing excerpt as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "The super zombie strength was cool, but this had to be the lamest superpower ever." Nice! No teen wants to be the nerdy brainiac, right? lol

    Good snippet, Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I get the feeling she'll change her mind about it soon enough. Welcome back! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, you know, compared to super zombie strength... I'm sure she was hoping for something way cooler than a super brain.

    ReplyDelete
  11. lol- What? She doesn't like the braniac power? Enjoyed the snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, it would be an advantage of being transdead to just know everything without having to learn it! What a fun little world detail!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL .... that made me laugh. Great snippet!
    Glad you had a great time travelling as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. tranformation into Nerd Girl was more upsetting to her than everything else going on, fun snippet
    (Welcome back)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the last line!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Funny scene. Great new concept on the zombie-theme. :)

    ReplyDelete