Sunday, February 07, 2016

Gotta Love Those Title Moments

Time again for Weekend Writing Warriors and Snippet Sunday!





I'm continuing with my YA coming-of-age mystery, Shades of Blue. (You can catch up on the earlier excerpts here.) This scene takes place a little later after Sam shows up to rescue JoJo from being molested by Chip Wiley in the woods on the way home from school. Sam and JoJo share a tender moment, but he surprises her when he says she can't tell anyone what happened because he can't be mixed up in anything to do with the police. He says that if she cares anything about him, she has to promise not to tell. JoJo reluctantly agrees, then she remembers seeing the bruises on his back through his T-shirt and realizes that his step-father has been beating him. Sam tries to deny it, but JoJo isn't fooled.


“Let me see your back.”

He sighed and turned around slowly. I lifted his T-shirt, and his back was so bruised that it was hard to find any part that was the normal color of his skin—big splotches in every shade of blue imaginable. Blue had always been my favorite color until then, but I didn't like it anymore. I guess I must have gasped, because he turned around and hugged me.

“I swear it’s not as bad as it looks,” he said. “It doesn’t even hurt much anymore. Please don’t cry.”

I put my head on his shoulder and closed my eyes. “I hate him, Sam."


Find out next week why he got beaten. Or you could always go buy your own copy of Shades of Blue here. ;-) Please also check out the other Snippet Sunday folks and the Weekend Writing Warriors. Something for everyone among these talented writers!

~Stay true to yourself and your dreams will come true!

See all my books at my Web site
Follow me on Twitter
Like my Facebook Fan Page

17 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:19 AM

    Same seems like a noble character, though I wish he'd go to the police about those beatings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. I truly hate physical abuse. But I love when its victims become heroes. Nicely done Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm. I truly hate physical abuse. But I love when its victims become heroes. Nicely done Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh poor Sam. :-( That is heartbreaking. I love the detail of how blue used to be her favorite color. Great snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blue is my favorite color too, but I understand how a sight like that could put you off for life. Poor Sam!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sad for him but this is a really lovely snippet in its way. You're telling us quite a moving story here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If the bruises are that purple-blue color, he's definitely lying. They still hurt. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet snippet. I'm really rooting for these two.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel so sorry for Sam. How awful. I really liked the line about her describing how she Blue used to be her favorite color until now. Just brings home how horrific his bruises are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am full agreement - I love blue, but not in bruises. Great description.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This tugs at my heart strings, Joyce. Nice work. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww, this was such a sweet moment. I agree with Teresa- it tugs at the heart strings! What really struck home (no pun intended) was the way she viewed the color, and how drastically that view has changed. Amazing writing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, heartfelt and sweet. I hope she convinces him to go to the police.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Man this is some deep stuff for kids to have to be dealing with. Sucks big time. Very indicative of how awful things can be if given the opportunity. Really enjoyed the descriptions, though. Lovely writing, truly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous6:33 PM

    Poor Sam. :( Such a hard spot to be in, but I love how the abuse doesn't seem to be breaking his spirit or character, but instead making him stronger. I just hope it doesn't harden him later in the wrong kind of way. Great snippet! I love the mention of blue no longer being her favorite color from those bruises.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like her thinking regarding the colour blue. Nicely done. Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sam needs to beat that guy up once and for all and kick him out of the house.

    ReplyDelete