Sunday, June 09, 2013

Sins of the Father



Sunday means time for another eight sentences from Shades of Blue, my WIP. Please also check out the other Snippet Sunday folks and the Weekend Writing Warriors. Something for everyone from these talented writers!

Last week we left Sam and JoJo at her bedroom window in the middle of the night. As promised, here's more about why he's there. This is after Sam has climbed in the window and is sitting on the end of JoJo's bed. He's just told her that his mom and Russ were both drinking heavily all night and arguing. While Sam was trying to help his mom to her bedroom, she accidentally called him Keith, his real dad's name.

I knelt on the floor beside his legs so I could look up at his face and said, “What did Russ do when she called you Keith?”

“He really lost it, JoJo--I’ve never seen him that mad before. He slapped my mom and told her he never wanted to hear that name again, and before I could say or do anything, he backhanded me and said it was my fault she did it.”

“How could it be your fault?”

“He said I’ve been trying to look and act like my dad on purpose because I want to turn my mom against him, and he said next I’d be wanting to go out for football so I could play the big shot quarterback like my old man.”

"You didn’t tell him you were trying out, did you?”

He looked at me and shook his head. “No, but Britney did.”


Now, don't jump to too many conclusions. More next week.


Shades of Blue is still a WIP, but you can buy my other books here.

~Stay true to yourself and your dreams will come true!

Follow me on Twitter: @JoyceScarbrough
Like my Facebook Fan Page here

15 comments:

Linda said...

I really hope his mum wakes up, packs and run away with him.

Joanne Stewart said...

Oh, my heart's in my throat. That poor kid. I'm with Linda...I hope mom packs and runs, but something tells me she won't. Terrific snippet. there's a lot of heart-felt emotion in here.

patonlorraine said...

Great snippet, describing an awful situation. I hope he keeps going forward with the football try outs, despite the tension and conflict it'd cause.

Brenda Ashworth Barry said...

I want his mom to kick his bootie to the curb. A baseball bat works really good. I feel so bad for him. I hope he never had to go back! There is so much emotion here, great job. :-)

Sarah W said...

Oh, poor Sam . . . I hope it gets better . . .

sue said...

He has to leave - and take his mum with him

Veronica Scott said...

Quite a story but I'm along for the ride, can't wait to learn more next week. Excellent excerpt!

Anastasia Vitsky said...

That image is perfect. Wow.

Love this and will be back for more.

Elaine Cantrell said...

Bad situation. It's hard not to jump to conclusions.

Danita Minnis said...

Love the suspense! Geat 8 :)

Denise Moncrief said...

Poor kid! Looks like his has a lot to deal with. I hope his mom wakes up and smell the cappuccino. I hate abusers.

Siobhan Muir said...

Wow, what a lot of pressure to carry on young shoulders. Nicely done, Joyce. :)

Sharon Buchbinder said...

That poor kid. He has the weight of the world on his shoulders. Nice snippet!

Cindy Amrhein said...

Oh my, Sam better watch his back. Sad thing is there really are kids in this situation. You are doing a great job with this Joyce. Very realistic.

History Sleuth's Milk Carton Murders

stevie-carroll said...

What a cliffhanger to leave us on! I'm glad it's Sunday again tmorrow.