Sunday, June 02, 2013

Midnight Surprise


Photo by Miguel Virkkunen Carvalho via Wikimedia Commons


Welcome back to another Eight Sentence Sunday! Please also check out the other Snippet Sunday folks and the Weekend Writing Warriors. Something for everyone from these talented writers!

This scene takes place the same day as the last few weeks' excerpts. JoJo is startled awake by tapping on her bedroom window in the middle of the night.

I don’t remember walking to the window. I just know I was there in half a second. I opened it and could see Sam’s silhouette in the moonlight.

“What happened, Sam? Are you okay?”

“Can you unlatch the screen and try to pull me up?”

My earlier terror returned, because I knew there was only one reason Sam would even consider doing such a thing—Russ had to be drunk again. I unhooked the screen and swung it out, hoping Sam had gotten away before Russ could hurt him anymore.

More details next week, so be sure to come back! :-)


Shades of Blue is still a WIP, but you can buy my other books here.

~Stay true to yourself and your dreams will come true!

Follow me on Twitter: @JoyceScarbrough
Like my Facebook Fan Page here

19 comments:

sue said...

Hopefully Sam has not been hurt again. I used to have a boyfriend who entered my room through the window lol

Israel Parker said...

Great post!

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

I hope Sam is not hurt. I'm glad he has a place to run to and feel safe.

Ute Carbone said...

Love this snippet. I've come to care so much about Sam. Hope he's okay.

Sarah W said...

Oh, dear. I'll echo Karen's comment---I'm sorry for his situation, but at least he has a safe place!

Brenda Ashworth Barry said...

aww! what a life for Sam. I wish his mom would get rid of Russ. But I am glad he has a safe place and someone he trusts. I'm still hoping he finds his birth father. Great job. :-)

gemma parkes said...

Poor Sam, hopefully his Mum will realise what he's going through.

Veronica Scott said...

I'm with everyone else, hoping Sam is ok...on pins and needles to see what happens next!

Sue Ann Bowling said...

I really feel for Sam.

rleesmith said...

At least he has somewhere to go when he has to run. Poor Sam. I feel for the guy.

katewyland.com said...

Wow. Hope Sam is okay and she isn't in danger from helping him.

katewyland.com said...

Wow. Hope Sam is okay and she isn't in danger from helping him.

Melinda Dozier said...

I'm intrigued! Great 8!

Siobhan Muir said...

How heartbreaking! Great snippet, Joyce. :)

Cindy Amrhein said...

You have created two great characters here, very real with all their layers. Nice way to leave us hanging on what Sam is going to say!

History Sleuth's Milk Carton Murders

Kate said...

Love your characters! Very nice snippet.

Linda said...

At least Sam has somewhere to go to when things turn wrong at home.

stevie-carroll said...

A great eight there.

Isabella Leigh said...

Oh poor Sam. I hope he isn't hurt.