Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Real (Painful) Thing




Welcome back Snippet Sunday folks and Weekend Writing Warriors! Time for another eight sentences from my WIP, Shades of Blue.

This scene takes place after school the day after all the drama went on in the woods. Sam and JoJo are walking home together and run into Chip Wiley.


We talked about the usual school stuff the rest of the way to the Minit Mart, and we were still holding hands when we stopped to get a Coke. I didn’t see Chip and his two stupid friends behind the comic book rack until it was too late.

“Look, guys,” Chip said as they walked toward us, “Sam finally got up the nerve to hold her hand, and it only took him ten years to do it. Just think, Sammy-boy, only five more years and you’ll be feeling her up like I did yesterday.”

Before Sam could say a word or do anything to stop me, I grabbed a can of Coke from the tub of ice by the counter and chunked it at Chip’s head. It bounced off the cowlick at his crown and landed in the middle of a loaf of Wonder Bread on a rack nearby. He stumbled backward into Freddy, and they fell against the comic book rack and knocked it over.

“How did that feel, Chip,” I said, “because it felt pretty damn good to me!”


Guess everything that happened didn't make JoJo lose her mojo, huh? ;-)

Shades of Blue is still a WIP, but you can buy my other books here.

~Stay true to yourself and your dreams will come true!

Follow me on Twitter: @JoyceScarbrough
Like my Facebook Fan Page here

22 comments:

Israel Parker said...

Awesome post!

Virginia Kelly said...

Fantastic! I could clearly see and feel this. Love the brand name touches.

Brenda Ashworth Barry said...

I'm laughing. I bet it did feel good to her. I could actually see it happening. Very vivid scene, loved it. :-)

Penny Alley said...

And she got the hit in before he did. Man, I'll bet that felt good!

Kate Warren said...

Nice. Does the Coke being ice cold counteract the swelling it could cause?

Side notes: wouldn't want to open that can, and do they now have to buy it and the loaf of bread?

sue said...

The use of Wonder Bread aided the visualization somehow. Actually she could have killed him so good thing didn't. Being bested by a girl, he'll really be after her now

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

I loved the snippet! I could see the scene perfectly in my mind. I bet it felt good! lol

Veronica Scott said...

Well good for her! Excellent excerpt!

Siobhan Muir said...

YES! Go, Jo-Jo! She's got great aim. Great snippet, Joyce. :)

Elaine Cantrell said...

Nobody ever deserved it more. Way to go!

authorannelange.com said...

Loved it!

Karysa Faire said...

Woot woot! Awesome!

gemma parkes said...

Loved it! Fast, witty and fun (but not for Chip!)

Sharon Buchbinder said...

Gotta love a gal who takes no crap from jerks! Go JoJo!!

katewyland.com said...

Cool. Glad the can didn't do too much damage. The Wonder Bread reference makes me think this is a little in the past? Does WB even exist any more?

Cindy Amrhein said...

Go JoJo. Go JoJo. Go, go, go JoJo! Good on her for putting him in his place. Wonder how Sam will feel about it?

I saw all that perfectly in my mind. Nice job!

History Sleuth's Writing mysteries.

Isabella Leigh said...

LOL Good to see Jo-Jo getting the best of Chip. I guess she showed him, didn't she?

Linda said...

That is so good.
I wish more girls were like Jojo for all the guys like Chip, that would teach them.

Teresa Cypher said...

Yes!! lolol. I loved this, Joyce! SO visual, and boy oh boy, I was rooting for her. She came through! Great 8!

Ashley Perry said...

Great snippet! Love it.

rleesmith said...

Loved it! everything I read from this story brings back such excrutiating memories...why do I want to read more?

Red Wing citizen said...

Sometimes you can only tolerate so much and she released that emotion so completely.