Sunday, May 26, 2013

Like Father Like Son


Photo by Torsten Bolten, AFpix.de, via Wikimedia Commons

Happy Sunday to all the Snippet Sunday folks and Weekend Writing Warriors! Time for another eight sentences from my WIP, Shades of Blue. And thanks to a conversation I had with one of my awesome critique group partners, I'm finally getting back to working on this story again!

This week I decided to share a scene where Sam and JoJo are talking about his real father who left when Sam was a toddler.


“My mom didn’t seem like she’d been drinking as much as usual when I went to tell her goodnight, and she kept saying how much I was starting to look like him, then she got out her yearbook so I could see for myself. It said under his picture that not only was he quarterback for Pine Grove, he was a High School All-American signed by Florida State.”

“Do you really look like him?” I asked.

“Yeah, except he’s a lot bigger. He’s got blond hair like me, and our chins are the same shape. You know, that was the first time I ever saw a picture of him, and he didn’t look like a guy who would run off and desert his wife and kid. He looked like he’d be kinda nice, and you should see how pretty my mom was in high school.”

I’d always wondered if there was more to the story about Sam’s dad than we knew, but unless he suddenly decided to come back someday, I didn’t see how we’d ever find out the truth.


I'm guessing they do find out more. What about you? ;-)

Shades of Blue is still a WIP, but you can buy my other books here.

~Stay true to yourself and your dreams will come true!

Follow me on Twitter: @JoyceScarbrough
Like my Facebook Fan Page here

20 comments:

Linda said...

I wonder if Sam is going to want to look for his dad now that he seems to have a good opinion of him.

Sharon Buchbinder said...

There are four sides to every story. Wonder why his dad really disappeared. I suspect he'll find out, in time. :)

Sarah W said...

You're right---this is a perfect snippet for Father's Day, but I'm going to guess there will be more of them. And I'm hooked!

Siobhan Muir said...

I hope he's as nice as he looks - looks can be deceptive and don't show the anger. Great snippet, Joyce. I really like your story. :)

Elaine Cantrell said...

Sometimes stirring up the past can have unexpected consequences. I hope he isn't disappointed if he goes looking for daddy.

Brenda Ashworth Barry said...

I hope he goes to look for his dad because there could be another reason why he left. I love the thought that he'd find someone who will be kind and loving to him. By the way, love that picture of the football player. Great snippet. :-)

Summer Ross said...

Great 8! Love the mystery that has come about with the dad.
~Summer
My Blog

sue said...

yeah I'm betting there's much more to the story that we don't know yet

Susan Stuckey said...

Great #8Sentence. And I certainly hope that they learn more. Well done.

stevie-carroll said...

Definitely a mystery going on there. Great excerpt.

Kate Warren said...

He's going to come back, I bet. At least I hope so. Or maybe Same will find some old letters or something?

Nice mystery.

Karysa Faire said...

Isn't that every kids' dream--that the parent who abandoned him or her was actually a nice person and there had to be a good, excusable reason? :-( For Sam's sake, I hope it's true.

Veronica Scott said...

Fascinating and leads to so many questions and plot possibilities. Really well done, an intriguing excerpt.

Isabella Leigh said...

Hmm... is Dad going to be coming back into Sam's life, sometime soon?

Carrie-Anne said...

I hope Sam finds the answers he wants if he's able to track down his dad, or if his dad finds him.

katewyland.com said...

Great snippet. I want to know what his father really is like.

Cindy Amrhein said...

Well I know I want to find out more! Well done Joyce !


History Sleuth's Writing mysteries

gemma parkes said...

This is a lovely snippet, intriguing and it draws me in.

rleesmith said...

That last line leaves so many possibilities open, and so many of them painful ones. My heart goes out to Sam.

Jess Schira said...

Love the mystery. I agree, there feels like there's more to the story.